Monday, May 16, 2016

Rabu-Rabu Kitchen: Beef Stew with Puff Pastry Crust

A few days ago I made my husband one of his favorite foods ever, beef stew. He especially likes when I make it like this, baked in an oven-safe bowl with pastry crust on top. It's very easy to make, here's how I did it. You can change out the veggies for whatever you want and can easily get. In America I made this with regular sliced white mushrooms instead of bunashimeji, and I often added celery. Also, you can make it without the beef stew roux but you might need a few more bullion cubes or just replace the bullion and water with canned beef stock. .   

Ingredients (makes 2 large servings):
700ml water
2 beef bullion cubes
1/2 box (one of the 2 packets inside) of Japanese beef stew roux
1/2 large onion
1 carrot
1 large potato
100 gram bag of bunashimeji mushrooms
200 grams of pork or beef
Bisquick or flour
Japanese 'pie sheet' or puff pastry

Instructions:
1. Cut the carrots, potato, onion, and meat. Put into crockpot with water, roux, bullion and mushrooms and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
2. Shortly before dinner time, take some of the broth out of the crockpot and mix it with some bisquick or flour. I use bisquick because I think the flavor is better, but it could be all in my head. The more bisquick/flour you use, the thicker your stew will be. I used 2 giant spoonfuls of bisquick (maybe 3 normal human sized spoonfuls). Then pass it through a sieve back into the crockpot and let it cook another 10-20 minutes untl the stew has thickened.
3. Ladle the soup into oven-safe bowls. Cover with frozen puff pastry cut into a circle just a little bit bigger than the top of the bowl. If you wanna be fancy, use some cookie cutters to cut decorations from the leftover scraps of puff pastry and put them on top.
4. Bake according the directions of your puff pastry package. The soup is already cooked, so once you get the pastry golden and cooked through, you're good! I think I put it in at 200 C for about 15 minutes, but don't quote me on that.
5. Enjoy! If you're like my husband, you'll collapse on the couch immediately after eating, groaning "Onaka IPPAAAAAAI!" (I'm fuuuuuull!) while watching Supernatural :D


No comments:

Post a Comment